8/27/12

Story

Having Chad sit down next to her, Rosalyn just keeps working. She knew she was fine - she just wasn't sure what to expect.

She smiles a little as he mentions her dad being smart, but when it comes to the compliments again, her face is red once more. Her lips do upturn in a new little smile though. Even if sharing about herself wasn't something she normally did, she couldn't help it that it felt good he was that interested in her. It helped reinforce that he didn't just think she was pretty and that was all he was after - he wanted to know the inside of her too.

"Well, you know I live and work here, so that just about sums it all up." She gives him a sidelong glance, knowing he wouldn't be satisfied with that.

Continuing to work on the button, she starts to sew it back on. "I grew up not knowing Jim was my father - that's a really long story though. I... went to college for a couple years. Worked as a secretary... moved out here..." She shrugs. "I guess I've always just helped support the family, so there's not much else I've done." Now that she'd said that, she smirks a little. "This ranch is like a haven, but ironically enough, some days it feels like a prison. Feels like I'm at the end of the road when I just started."

Squinting at the button, she tries to avoid a knot in the thread. "Oh, I've got another brother too - he lives in Nevada." She pauses in thought. "He works with Katie, actually. Come to think of it..." She quirks an eyebrow, looking at Chad again. "He might even go to your church. Ty Henson. Red hair... twenty-two. He's pretty quiet though. I grew up thinking he was dead, too, until a couple years ago."

Only as she talked did she realize that her family's story really was a bizarre one, what with the Agency and all. She'd always hoped that if she found a man, he wouldn't be scared off by knowing the truth of her family's danger. She had a feeling that when Chad found out, he wouldn't tuck tail and run. Not that... things would get that far, but it was a thought. Now though, it was too soon for her to want to share all that. Mentioning her lack of father and brother growing up was enough for now.

About to say more, she's cut short as the needle slips and pricks her finger. "Ouch!" Scowling, she puts her bleeding finger in her mouth, not wanting to get blood on his shirt. "And you thought you'd be the clumsy one with the needle." She rolls her eyes and examines her fingertip. "Way to go, me."


Hunter sighs a contended sigh, leaning his face into Katie's palm before returning another kiss. "Mmm.... I don't mind if you stock up," he muses. "I could use a little extra attention myself."

He leans in and rests his forehead against hers. "I'm so deprived and all. Never getting any hugs and kisses...." He grins and gives her shoulders a squeeze. "Ya know.... I don't think I'm gonna like being away from you, even if it is just for a week or two."


No comments:

Post a Comment