6/6/10

Before bed

Chance looks to Destiny quickly, wondering why she'd have to ask if he'd be at her parents' funeral. Wasn't it natural that he would be? Had he implied otherwise, or acted like he didn't want to go? He hoped not. When two people got along, a friendship could form in a matter of minutes. With him and Destiny, it had formed over the course of several days being together. He'd treat her like he would any friend. Maybe he wasn't all that close to anyone, but he wouldn't leave her high and dry now.

"Of course I'll be there," he answers softly. "We're friends right? I wouldn't leave you to do that alone even if I wasn't your bodyguard."

Rinsing out a glass, he hands it to her carefully. "I'd bring you along to that meeting of mine in a few days but... first, you're right - Reese would have a fit, and two... I know you can act but... I wouldn't want to risk it. I've got to meet up with someone in that undercover scene - gotta make a deal on a gambling debt, then get out of there again." He sighs. "Which means I also have to come up with something to tell Reese since he's not in that loop. I wasn't planning on having to make any connections while I was here, but... I'm getting pressure and if I don't give, it's gonna blow my cover."

He leans on the sink and gives Destiny a sidelong glance. "The life of an Elite agent. Even when I'm playing bodyguard, I gotta watch my back."

Handing her the last glass, he pulls the plug in the drain and lets the water swirl down in the sink. Wiping off the counter with a little flourish, he hangs up the towel and turns to Destiny, seeming to not be too sure what to do now. It was too early for bed yet.... but he wasn't so sure about starting any more games or playing around tonight. "I got some work to do before bed..."

No comments:

Post a Comment