3/4/10

Familiar

Leo rests his elbows on the bar and puts his face in his hands, hearing the woman next to him, but not moving. Her tone of voice was just a little looser than it should be and he figured she'd already been here a while. "Maybe he knew how many beers you were gonna have and he didn't want to push you over the edge."

Dropping his hands, his eyes are tired and he sighs. Receiving his drinks, he takes the whiskey and downs it, cringing as it slides down his throat. It wasn't often he drank hard liquor, and it took his breath away. Once recovered, he takes his beer and has a swig, tasting the mellower flavor.

Finally he turns his head to look at the woman, finding it strange that he thought he knew her. "You look familiar. In about as good a shape as me, but familiar."


Mick looks at Dan's hand for a moment before making the move to accept it. He grips the younger man's hand firmly and nods. "It's good to be back," he confirms. "I've made a lot of mistakes in my life... and one of them was judging you. I want to apologize."

Drawing back, he looks at both Dan and Jade. "Some people think by the time they're my age that they quit learning or that there's nothing left but smooth sailing. They're wrong. People like me still have an awful lot to learn... and it's been a hard road for me. But... I want you both to know that I've left my drinking for good. I just hope that I haven't ruined any trust or respect that was left."

Jades lip quivers just a little and she shakes her head. She'd been so angry, but seeing her father now and how sorry he was, yet how strong at the same time, how could she still harbor those feelings? She couldn't. They just didn't seem important anymore. "I'm just glad you're okay." She reaches out to take his hand. "I was so worried about you."

Mick manages another smile, grateful for her understanding. "I'm okay... still making my way up the ladder, but I'm okay. And..."

He turns back to Dan. "You're one of the best workers we got so... I'd hate to lose you."

Jade can't help it that her eyes drift to the ground before glancing in Dan's direction. What about after their announcement? Then what would her father say?

No comments:

Post a Comment