5/2/10

Without warning

Though taking time made Kip a bit leery, he'd respect Karla's wishes. After all, he was the one in trouble here, not her. He wasn't exactly in a position to argue.

He looks down as she touches his hand, and a small smile slowly creases his lips. "I have a feeling you'll always be one of my best friends too, Karla. I'm... really glad that you're coming with us."

Turning his hand over so hers could rest in his palm, he gives it a little squeeze before withdrawing. Reaching back behind him, he grabs the ice cream again before it got too soft. Dipping his spoon in, he then raises it as if as a toast. "To friendship... forgiveness... and laughter."

Putting the whole spoonful in his mouth, it's then his turn to cringe. "Ohhh man. Shouldn't have done that."


Hearing a woman's voice, Justin rolls his eyes. Just his luck. Scooting out backward until he was free from under the car, his shirt rides up partway and he rolls over to look up at the stranger, the sunlight making it difficult to make out her features as he squints.

"If I wanted you to run me over, hopefully I'd be a patient inside, not out here in this embarrassing position," he retorts. "I happen to have lost a baseball and I was merely trying to retrieve it."

Picking himself up, he stands, brushing off loose dirt and little bits of gravel. "Now, if you would have come two minutes earlier you could have pulled out already, making my job of picking up the ball a whole lot easier, and you never would have witnessed the prowling lunatic."

Setting his hands on his hips, he backs up a step to give her more room to get into her car. "Sorry for the inconvenience. I'll just wait for you to leave. Watch it going out though - there's more baseballs closer to the driveway. They tend to attack without warning."

No comments:

Post a Comment