5/14/10

Willing

"Alrighty..." Chance parks the car up by the curb and makes sure the sign is on the door. Putting his hand on the door handle to get out, Destiny's words take him completely off guard.

Turning and just staring at her, he blinks. How she'd realized he was lying, he didn't know. Toby would tell anybody that Chance was one of the best liars he knew - it was an unfortunate talent. But Chance must have not been watching his body language today. Destiny was sharp... sharper than he'd given her credit for.

Still silent and trying to think of what he could say, he watches Destiny get out and wait. If he wasn't supposed to be protecting her, he'd just tell her to go on in and he'd wait. Sighing, he gets out and slips the keys into his leather jacket pocket. Looking over the car at Destiny, he leans on the roof for a moment, searching her eyes. She didn't seem upset that he'd lied, but obviously didn't like it, or else she wouldn't have called him on it.

"Look, Destiny..." He runs his thumb along the shiny paint. "I don't know why you think I'd lie to you about anything, let alone a stupid phone call from an idiot salesman."

Cocking his head, he stares her in the eye, not angry, but irritated. Finally he moves around the car and steps up onto the sidewalk. "If I don't want you to know something, I'll tell you it's none of your business. I don't have a problem telling you that."

Chance reaches into his pocket and holds out his cell phone. "You wanna dial back and check my story? Go ahead. I don't have anything to hide. If there's one thing I don't want you spreading around is that I'm a liar. So go on... call."

He continues to look her in the eye. "You're right. We need to trust each other. So if it takes you checking up on me, then here... I'm willing."


Alec gives Ryan a sheepish look about the car, and follows her to her own vehicle. "I don't care where we go. I just wanted to get away from TJY."

Sliding into the passenger seat, he heaves a sigh, not realizing that he was signaling something wasn't sitting well with him. He knew what it was. It was yesterday's events. He hadn't realized that his fierce battle with Reese had more behind it than just routines and protocol... he wasn't used to analyzing his own feelings to recognize that much of it.

Staring out the window though, he's much quieter than normal, his mind far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment