8/30/12

Apology

Alec was grateful for Misty's words. He really was trying and it felt good to know that she'd noticed. He really wasn't sure what his future looked like, but he sure was making an effort not to go down the same path he'd already chosen multiple times. 

"I'm sure we'll get to see her before she leaves again," he answers. It wasn't like Ken could come pick her up and whisk her out the door without them seeing. 

Alec smiles a little before giving Misty a sidelong glance. "I think she'll be thrilled to know about the baby. I mean, I'm thrilled and I'm a guy." He grins and looks down again, feeling a little silly, but it was the truth - he really was happy for Misty, even if he hadn't said so before.

It does take a while, and a few times, they could hear both Justin's and Mackenzie's raised voices in the kitchen, but nobody emerged until the atmosphere had settled. 

Coming into the living room, Justin guides the girl with his hand on her shoulder. Today had been a tough one - Mackenzie had taken a couple steps backwards, but it was to be expected sometimes. He knew that in all reality, she was doing quite well for all she'd been through. Not having a father, her mother dying, living in an orphanage, finding her father but not allowed to be with him, being adopted and promptly abused in more ways than one, back to the orphanage, back to fighting to see her father, then finally adopted again and now her beloved father and his wife getting a divorce. They were lucky she was not somewhere like Brookshire right now. It was no wonder she longed for family yet didn't trust Ken and Jeanette as much as they wanted. Too many times she had been betrayed and let down. It was amazing she still had the gumption to stand up for herself, and Justin could only accredit that to her genes. 

Giving her shoulder a little pat, he pushes her forward, prompting her towards the couch. 

Mackenzie trudges over to Misty and Alec, her head bent, but her red eyes were still visible, proving the tears had finally spilled over. "I'm sorry," she apologizes quietly. "I know I shouldn't have run away and come here without asking." She pulls her hands up into her jacket sleeves, shifting her weight awkwardly. "I just missed everybody and... and I didn't think my parents would let me come."

As she stops, she glances up to Justin who gives her a nod to continue. 

"And... thank you for lunch and for not getting mad at me. I'm... I'm gonna ask my dad... Ken... if... if I can come back again sometime, if... you'll let me." 


Rosalyn didn't even know what to say. Chad's words were so sweet and kind and comforting... it seemed anything she could say would seem dull in comparison. For sure, he knew which words would make her feel good. For in these moments, she had felt things she'd never dreamed of. And she would cherish those feelings forever. 

"I'll never forget you either," she answers softly, leaving her head resting on his chest. Her finger toys with one of his shirt buttons and she sighs a deep sigh, knowing that even though she wished this to last forever, time had not actually stopped. She would be missed if she didn't show up back to work soon. 

Finally sitting up straight, she gazes into his eyes, simply watching them for several moments. Leaning in closer, she gives his lips a soft kiss before scooting off his lap and standing up. 

Looking down at him, she smiles. "Walk me back?" 


No comments:

Post a Comment