3/16/12

Yawning

Axel was grateful for Jess' words. It didn't change anything. It didn't fix anything. But at least she believed in him. She didn't think he was a monster. She wasn't afraid of him. At least he had her to rely on for that. If no one else believed him... she did. And if he wanted anyone to believe him, it was her.

"Thanks." Reaching over, he takes her hand in his, running his thumb through her palm. "You're pretty special, you know that? Most people... well... they'd tuck tail and run from someone with a reputation like mine, true or not. I guess that's the only thing that worries me. I want to let it go... but it keeps following me. Right now things are quiet. But what about a month from now? A year?" He shrugs. "Next time I'm exposed or accused... what will it do to me then? To us?"

He sighs. He knew there wasn't an answer. He knew Jess was ready to stick it out with him no matter what. But it did still gnaw at his gut.

Shifting a little to sit a bit more sideways, he cradles her face with his hand. "I don't mean to push you away when I get worried. I just didn't want to scare you or take out my frustrations on you. I'd rather yell at a mirror than you and I didn't want you to get the brunt of it. You're too special to me for that."

Smiling a little, he leans in closer. "No matter what happens... no matter if I need time off... know that it's never because of you, and I will always return. Always."

Closing the gap, his lips brush hers lightly before returning with a firmer kiss. His one hand slips around her waist, the other crawling to the back of her head. Deepening the kiss, he doesn't pull away. Not this time. Not yet. Right now he wanted to show her how much he cared. So he lets the passion go.


Carson's head snaps up at Misty's comment and it takes him a strange moment to smile. "Of course not, love."

"Hey!" Con swats Jamie's hand as she elbows him. "Not on a full stomach." Grinning, he leans over and gives her a kiss. "But since I apparently twisted your arm, I guess that makes us even."

...Playing cards was a nice relaxing distraction from the day. Just being able to fellowship and laugh felt good, and the time was ignored...

Pursing his lips and studying the cards in his hand, Carson is about to make a play when his phone gives a short ring from his pocket. Smirking, he pauses the game and fishes his phone from his pocket to flip it open. He grins then shakes his head as he reads the text message. "Apparently Dani left a mess in the kitchen for me to clean up in the morning." Opting not to reply to her now, he tucks his phone away again and looks back at his cards. "I'm gonna need two."

Con tries not to look at Jamie. He knew his eyes would betray him if he did. He hadn't heard Carson's phone, but it was obvious he'd received a text message. It was also obvious that Carson had not plugged in his phone after arriving - it had been in his pocket this whole time. Yet... he'd said that the battery had died and that's why he hadn't called when he'd wound up late. Maybe Con had just heard him wrong - that wasn't out of the ordinary with his bad hearing. But... it was a bit hard convincing himself that that's all it was. He didn't want to think Carson had lied. What reason would he have? Wondering what the answer was bothered Con... a lot.

Realizing it was his turn in the game, he tries to focus and forget about that other issue for now. It was probably all just his imagination anyway...

... Con yawns as he lays down his cards, starting a chain reaction of yawning. No one wanted to quit, but it really was getting late. He looks to Jamie just a little sleepily and with a wry grin. "I don't know, but I think I've about had it."

"Party pooper," Carson teases. He shakes loose an ice cube from the bottom of his glass to chew on.

Con smirks and yawns again. "Yeah well... okay. I guess I am."

It takes a few more minutes to wind things down and actually decide to leave, but eventually Con and Jamie do depart, with plans to do this again soon.

Leaning on the open doorway, Carson gives a final wave to their friends before turning and stretching, now yawning too. "Mmm... that was fun." He closes the door and pulls Misty in for a hug and a kiss to the top of her head. "Thanks for making supper too - it was great."

No comments:

Post a Comment