7/29/10

Family

Pete starts to laugh a hearty genuine laugh, having way too much fun teasing Katie. "Hey now... you're the one that started this whole thing, remember? I was just minding my own business talking to myself."

He leans his arms on the cubicle wall and looks down at her, his eyes twinkling. "But I love you anyway. Now get back to work before the boss finds you having another conniption fit."

Sliding down out of sight, he takes his own seat once again and tries to start working. He's not very successful though... his mind was already wondering if Nikki would call, and if she did, if he'd see her again today.


Awww! Don't deprive me of kisses! You mean, mean woman.

Jason can feel Katie tugging on a bit of irritation, but then more humor than anything else, and he deliberately sends her a batch of warm fuzzy feelings like an invisible bear hug.

Forgive me?


Hearing Rayne talk about her family, Phil felt a little sorry for her. He didn't know what it was like to be rejected but one's own family but it couldn't feel nice.

Lying back and propping himself up with an elbow, he faces her before answering her question. "Well, you met Kyle this morning at church." It had been brief - Kyle had been busy with plans for the day with Alice and some of the others. "He's obnoxious sometimes but has a heart of gold."

Jen hadn't been there this morning. "Jen - did I tell you she and Kyle are twins? She's in a wheelchair, you know, and I guess she was having a not-so-great morning - otherwise I would have loved for you to meet her too. She's like a calmer Kyle." Phil laughs. "She's a gem. I always wished there was some way I could help her more. And... my mom and stepfather are out of town - another bummer. But I know you'd like them. Mom is so kind and she and my stepfather both love to help people whenever they can. Lots of people have called them their adoptive parents just because they're always there when needed."

Phil's eyes roam Rayne's for a moment. "I'd... like for you to meet them too sometime... if you want."

No comments:

Post a Comment