6/9/10

Ugly

Feeling Destiny's hand on him, Chance stops and looks over his shoulder in question. Her light touch and soft kiss to the scar that now had no pain sent a tingle all the way down his arm and to his fingers. He'd always thought it to be an unattractive mark, certainly not deserving of a kiss. But Destiny soothed that fear away.

"That was a few years back," he answers quietly. Turning to face her again, he shrugs. "I was on this assignment with a buddy of mine. We were supposed to just observe - nothing more. The guys we were watching were in this cabin in the middle of a thick forest. Only way we could get a good view was to climb a couple pine trees. So we did." Chance shakes his head at the memory.

"We were all settled up high and I really don't know how we were spotted. But somehow we were. One of the guys took a shot at me." He shows Destiny another smaller scar on his side. "Just winged me, but it knocked me off balance."

Whistling like a dropped bomb, he gestures a nosedive with his hand. "I remember thinking there were an awfully lot of branches on my way down. Next thing I know, it's three days later and I'm in a hospital with my head all wrapped up and a bazillion stitches in my arm there. The buddy who had been with me - he'd gotten us out of the mess, but he said there was no way I should have survived that fall."

Chance shrugs again. "I 'should have died' a lot of places - Toby thinks I have nine lives. Anyway, I never climbed a tree again after that." He gives a little laugh. "It's an ugly thing, isn't it?" He looks at his scar again. If wearing a short-sleeved shirt, just the end of the scar was visible and most people didn't even notice.


"Mm-hmm." Phil nods, a little grin on his face from having won the 'I'll take you home' battle. "I work at a lumberyard. Not the greatest job in the world but it gets the bills paid so I can have play time with the band."

He cocks his head, his eye still on Rayne's face. "What about you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment