4/13/10

Late

Leo doesn't stick around long at the garage. Within minutes, he's cleaned up his bay, clocked out and left the shop. Axel still observes quietly from his corner, watching both Leo and Ryan. He wished there was something he could do, but unfortunately, he knew that this was their battle. It wasn't his place to take sides, try to figure out who was right or wrong, or stick his nose into their business. It didn't mean he couldn't pray though.

By the time Leo reached Baxtor Studio, he was halfway dry, though it still was obvious he'd been out in the rain. Dashing inside, he shakes off some of the water and runs his hand through his hair, looking around for some of the people he knew. Greeting a few, he heads down to the corner office where the bulletin board was. If he'd been here last night, he wouldn't have to check the listing, but he'd missed, so he was left to finding out himself. It always made his stomach queezy. He could have called Rich, but he hadn't wanted to bother. It was better just to find his name on the list and...

He sighs. Jerry got the leading role... again. Leo hadn't even gotten a good part in the play at all - he was so far down on the list, it would be a wonder if they even missed him if he didn't show up.

"Hey, Leo!" Joe gives him a hearty whack on the back. "Where were you last night? Janet made the final call. I almost gave you a ring."

"Nah." Leo shrugs. "Didn't matter much." He points to the list.

"Yeah..." Joe frowns a little. "I wasn't too happy about that."

"Jerry deserves it."

"He's no better than you are."

"Apparently he is," Leo counters. "I haven't had a leading role since Cassy was here."

Joe quirks an eyebrow. "Cassy... Cassy..."

"Cassy Howard. You know... brunette... about this tall." Leo motions with his hand. "Petite. Real pretty."

"Oh yeah!" Joe nods. "I remember now. That was that last time you had a lead?"

"Yep. Maybe it wasn't me after all."

"Hey." Joe gives Leo's arm a thump. "You usually don't care about the spotlight. I need not mention that in our last production you were second in line from the top, but besides that, what gives?"

"I don't know." Leo leans back against the wall and folds his arms. "Guess I'm just in a bad mood."

"I'll say." Joe smirks at him. "If it's 'cause of this though-"

"No, it's not," Leo cuts him off. "This isn't a surprise. I'm lucky to be on stage at all."

"Would you quit doing that?!"

"What?"

"Putting yourself down!" Joe sets his hands on his hips. "So Janet threw you in the backseat this time. She's got a thing for Jerry, we all know that. Doesn't mean you're any less deserving."

"Did you know that she got complaints about my role the last time?"

Joe's face falls. "What?"

"Yeah." Leo tries to smile a little. "She got complaints about me playing that part in the musical."

"From who?"

"It doesn't matter."

"Yes it does!"

"Look, some people just don't think I fit the bill!" Leo throws up his arms. "Regardless of my dancing, they don't like me, and they've got pull with Janet, so I might as well just run the lights and stay off the stage."

Joe's eyes narrow, though his anger wasn't towards Leo, but others. "You know you're a good dancer, right?"

Leo shrugs. "Whatever."

"No, I mean it. You're good. You're not the best, but who is? We're all learning here. I've been here ten years longer than you, and I'm still not where I wanna be. But you can't quit just because someone put you in the back seat. Your time will come."

"I'm not so sure of that." Leo shakes his head. He'd been right when talking to Cassy. He was a jack of all trades and a master of none. "Look, I gotta go."

"You be back for practice tomorrow... right?"

"Yeah, probably." Leo gives a short laugh. "That's what idiots do - they keep coming back for more."

"Leo, you're not an idiot!"

"Today... today, I think I am." Leo sighs. "Thanks, Joe. Glad you're on my side and I appreciate it. I'm just having a rough day. I'm sure I'll be back tomorrow night and I'll be glad to take any part Janet gives me. Just... don't make a big deal out of it, okay? I'd rather hide in the shadows on this one."

"Alright. Take it easy, okay? I'm worried about you."

"I'm fine." Leo pats Joe's shoulder. "I'll talk to you later."

"Can I call you tonight?"

Leo waves as he walks away. If Joe wanted to call him, he could. Getting back outside into the rain, Leo slides into his car and just sits for several long minutes. Was it just one of those days? Or was everything really falling apart? He'd been doing alright, he'd thought, but now he seemed to be back where he started all over again. Alone, feeling low and not knowing where he was headed. Would he ever figure out where his life was going? Maybe it was good that Ryan had dumped him. Maybe she knew he was a loser - better for her then.

Driving back to his apartment, he sacks out on his couch, face down in the cushions without bothering to change out of his wet clothes. By now, he needed to at least start getting ready to go over to Cassy's, but he just didn't feel like getting up yet...

Leo's eyes fly open and he blinks in his dim living room. Grunting a little he tries to right himself from the awkward position in which he'd fallen asleep. A cushion slides off the couch and he almost falls off with it. Sitting up, he runs his hands over his face sleepily. His hair had dried in every direction, and his eyes stung.

Stumbling to the bathroom, he splashes some water on his face, trying to wake up. He almost felt like he had a hangover. Making it back to the kitchen, he hunts for something to drink, downing some iced tea right from the pitcher, he aims for the living room again, flopping back down on his couch. Just as he's reaching for the television remote though, he remembers. Cassy.

Looking at the clock, he swears under his breath and stands up again, going right back to the bathroom, this time for a shower. He was going to be late.

A hot shower, clean clothes and a bit of aftershave later, Leo is skidding out the door and trotting to his car. He really didn't feel like going out tonight, but he felt even less like calling Cassy and canceling. He knew she'd been looking forward to food and a movie. He might be having a bad day but that didn't mean he had to make her day a bad one too.

Driving across town, he finds her apartment and parks, giving his horn one honk and waits. Fifteen minutes late wasn't too bad. He could have called, but what excuse would he have had? Better to just show up. He'd offered to drive so he wouldn't back out now.

No comments:

Post a Comment