3/16/10

Embarrassed

"How many were there?"

"I just told you I couldn't see!"

"You said 'they' came up behind you."

"Well it sounded like more than one, I don't know."

"They didn't address you? Call you by your name?"

"I don't know. I was in a panic." Alec sits across from Reese in the interrogation room, holding one hand to his ribs. He felt terrible, but he'd been dragged over here to talk anyway. "Look, I told you. Ryan let me off, I started to walk and the next minute, I've got a blindfold on and I'm being pulled into a van."

Reese squints. "I thought it was a truck."

"No, I said van."

Reese turns his notepad around and points to the word "truck" he'd written.

Alec shrugs. "I meant van."

"How long did it take you to get where you were going?"

"Probably half an hour."

Reese looks at his notes again. They said fifteen minutes. "So they took you somewhere and started to question you."

"Yeah. Set me down in a chair and started asking me questions about the Elite."

"What did you tell them?"

"Nothing."

"You sure?"

"Yes!" Alec cringes, as he got too excited and his body hurt. "I didn't tell them anything."

"So that's all they wanted? Was to know about the Elite?"

"How many times do I have to tell you that?"

"What about how you escaped? Why do you think they didn't just kill you off?"

Alec shrugs. "How should I know. You know how erratic Medridge is. Maybe they just wanted to scare me."

"How did you escape exactly?"

Alec sighs. "I already told you. I slipped my ropes and when I heard there was no one upstairs, I made a run for it."

"You ran... in your condition?"

"Well hobbled. Adrenaline. How should I know? I just got out of there as fast as I could and kept going."

Reese looks at his notes one more time. Duct tape, not rope. "And why did you head to Ryan's instead of here?"

"I thought you wouldn't believe me. Figured you'd think I double-crossed or something. She convinced me to come back here. End of story." Alec closes his eyes for a moment, just wanting to lie down. "Can we be done now?"

"Mm-hmm." Reese closes his notepad and nods. "Sure. Thanks, Alec. We'll talk more when you're feeling better."

"Yeah... whatever." Alec slowly rises from his chair and walks, slightly bent, back to the infirmary where he knew the bed still was. Making it inside, he simply slides onto the bed and lies on his good side, trying to relax. Something felt odd though. Opening one eye, he realizes that he isn't alone. It wasn't Rick though, it was Misty.

"Mm... sister-in-law back from her honeymoon, I see." He closes his eyes again. "Don't let me fool you... I'm fine... really."


Reese sighs and looks at his notes again. Alec was lying. He had to be. The more he was questioned, the more his story changed. But why? Why would he lie? Had he really been kidnapped? Or had he gone to the Agency of his own free will and was now back as a spy? Surely not, but... why else would Alec lie, unless he was guilty?


Dr. Hawks nods to Hope. "Thank you. This was a rough first time... I hadn't planned on things going quite like this yet but maybe it was for the best. I think I'm going to give Scott some space for a while... perhaps avoid these sessions until he's settled in more. I learned a lot today."

Standing, he offers a smile. "You're welcome any time as long as it doesn't upset Scott. Enjoy the library."


Scott takes a sip of water and sets his glass back down, curling up again on the bed. He had nothing to do... nowhere to go. But he didn't want to sleep. No, he didn't want to face the nightmares that awaited.

Looking towards the door, he wonders if Hope will stop by again before she leaves. Part of him wanted her to, and part of him just wanted her to stay away. He didn't know which emotion would win out in the end. It was all just so... hard. Did everyone know he was here? At the very least, it was embarrassing that he had been admitted here. What would people think if he ever got out of here? What would Sapphire think? or Dalton?


Ty gives a soft laugh and shrugs. "Yeah, maybe I could talk to Rick I guess. Maybe."

Drinking the rest of his pop, he shakes his head. "I don't care what we do. But I don't work tonight, so... I leave it in your hands. We can go to the arcade... go to my place... walk in the park... totally up to you."

No comments:

Post a Comment