8/28/12

Undesirable

Just looking back at Chad, Rosalyn could hardly believe he'd had no one since his wife. Thirteen years? Someone like him? Last night she would have said he was just flirting again and stretching the truth. But as she looked into his eyes now, she was shocked to realize that it was true. No one had sparked his interest... until now. 

Feeling her cheeks flush all over again, she looks down, unable to accept such a high compliment. To her, it really was a compliment, coming from a man like him. Someone so sweet and charming. What he saw in her, she really didn't know. 

As her eyes find him again and she's offered something to drink, she nods. That would at least give her hands something to do. She was done with the shirt but... now that she was here... it was rather... nice. 

Not wanting to mess up the bed with her boots still on, instead, she slides off the bed to sit on the floor, using the mattress as her backrest. Stretching out her legs, she crosses them at her ankles, getting comfortable. And in all reality... she really was more comfortable than she'd started out. Talking to Chad and getting to know him was taking the nervous edge off - even if he still was  a could-be-model standing only feet away. That thought brings a little wry grin to the surface, but she'd never tell him those thoughts. 

Asked about men in her own life, she laughs outright. "Who, me? You kidding? I haven't been on a date since high school." Reaching up and accepting the cup of juice, she smiles her thanks. 

"Oh, there's been a couple guys who tried to get my attention I guess, but it was never mutual. Now that I'm a little older, every time a guy turns my head, I find out they're already married." She quirks an eyebrow. "Or worse." 

She pauses and takes a sip of juice. "I suppose living out here in the boonies lowers a girl's chances anyway. No prospects at church, and guys that come here are clients and off limits." She shrugs, speaking of the whole thing much more casually than what she really felt. Many a night she was so lonely it hurt. But she'd never told anyone that. She'd gotten very good at throwing on a smile, pulling up her boostraps and going on. 

Looking down at her drink, she watches it for a moment or two. "I... suppose a part of me started to wonder if maybe there was something wrong with me that I was undesirable or... undeserving." 

She bites her lip before finding the courage to look back up at Chad. "Then last night you showed up. And to be honest, I'm still not sure if you really mean all those nice things, but... I guess all of a sudden I kinda feel like a woman."


No comments:

Post a Comment