3/12/12

Rock bottom

Glad that Trey had agreed to stay, Ariel hangs on to him so he won't fall. "I got plenty of water. Just come on in and I'll get you a nice tall glass, okay?"

Helping him inside, she aims him for the living room, her arm around him to keep him from stumbling into furniture.

Colt is pacing the living room, still holding the purring cat and he looks up in surprise as Ariel brings Trey in. He frowns and quirks one eyebrow in disapproval.

Ariel throws him a look that warned him to be still. Bringing Trey to the couch, she lets him ease down to sit. "I'll be right back - just sit tight." She heads quickly to the kitchen to pour a glass of water. Turning from the sink, she almost runs right into her brother. Gasping, she barely keeps from spilling the water. "What are you... please move."

Colt stands in her way. "Are you really sure about this? I mean, do you really think this is smart?"

Ariel sighs. "No. It's probably not. But he's my friend. It's a long story, Colt... but please trust me... And give Pete a call."

"Pete? What for?"

"Tell him Trey's here and convince him not to come."

"Are you kidding me?" Colt throws up his hands, forgetting he was still holding Baby and almost dumping her on the floor. "What are you gonna do? Let that guy spend the night?"

Ariel shrugs. "If he falls asleep, I'm not going to wake him up just to kick him out."

Colt scowls. "Then don't expect me to leave tonight."

Ariel smiles and pats his arm. "I thought you'd never offer." Sidling past him, she continues on her way to the living room.

Colt smirks and rolls his eyes, realizing that his sister had been planning for him to stay this whole time. Sighing, he heads for the hallway to make the phone call from Ariel's office.

Ariel eases down on the armrest of the couch and hands Trey the glass of water. "Here you go. How you feeling?"


Dylan knew that question would come, but it didn't make it any easier. His eyes fall and attach themselves to the porch. He shrugs. "I dunno..." That wasn't really true. But how was he supposed to explain it to Ashlee?

He shifts his weight and swallows hard. "I guess... um..."

He finally looks back up at her and takes a deep breath. She thought a lot of him... and if she knew the truth, all that might change. But he didn't want to lie to her either. If she decided not to be his friend anymore then... he'd just have to accept it.

"I was with some people that... weren't so great, ya know?" He shrugs again. "I guess Dan reminded me that it's not so bad here. I..."

Dylan stops, suddenly finding it very difficult to talk about this. Staring up at the sky for a moment, his jaw muscles help him work through his jumbled emotions. Finally glancing back at Ashlee, he shakes his head. "I haven't been in a very good place, Ash. And I've done some pretty stupid things." He bites his lip. "I... well, I suppose you've got Dan to thank for me still being here at all." It was true. He'd been so very close to ending it all. So close that it still scared him, and the look in his eye proved it. "I guess I came back because I hit rock bottom."

His eyes roam the area before landing back on Ashlee. What would she think of him a few days from now? When he would hate everything and everyone around him? When he would want nothing but to escape for one more dose? He'd gone through it before. He knew what was coming. What would she think of him then? His apprehensive gaze lingers.

"I'm not very far from that bottom now but... thanks for being glad I'm back. It, um... it helps."

No comments:

Post a Comment