3/15/12

Late

Jess' greeting makes Axel smile and he returns the hug. "I did have to do this," he corrects. Pulling back a little, he searches her eyes. "Because all I've done this past week is disappoint you." Leaning in closer, his kiss to her lips is long and slow as he holds her tightly.

Drawing back, he rests his forehead against hers, another smile appearing. "Besides... the way you look tonight, I'm not so sure I would have wanted to take you out anyway. I might have ended up with some competition."

Grinning, he lets her go and gestures to the table. "The seat with the flowers is yours. What would you like to drink?"


Pete sighs and shakes his head. "Maybe it's just a lame attempt at saying we're sorry." He keeps his eyes on the road. "Thing is, Trey, we both always cared. We didn't know you, and we didn't know what kind of a guy you are... and we wanted you to trust someone so we could make sure you were safe to be around TJY.... but that doesn't mean we didn't genuinely care."

Reaching a stop sign, he slows the car to a stop and shrugs. "It's twisted, I know. But it's the truth. And today... well, I guess we both found out that you're not a threat, and somewhere along the way we really did start to consider you a friend. Maybe what we... what I... did was wrong. Maybe I shouldn't have gone about things the way I did. Maybe you didn't need the little show of me being on your side and against Reese when really, he knew everything I was doing."

Pete knew that this part of it was new information to Trey, which could make things worse. But at this point, truth was more important. "Ariel and I - we never meant to hurt you. For all we knew, you weren't even going to stick around this long. To be honest, I didn't think you'd still be at TJY at this point. I thought you woulda split or your parents woulda called for you to go back."

Taking a right turn, he opts for a slightly longer route back to TJY. "That's not an excuse, but it's all I got. I'm sorry you got hurt. It was no one's intention, and you deserved better." He gives Trey a sidelong glance before looking back at the road. "You probably hate my guts - I know I would. But for what it's worth, the show's over and... I still want to be your friend. Me not telling Reese about all this... First off, while I think you were stupid, there's no point in getting you in trouble for it. And second, it's the best and only offer for a truce that I've got. But whether you take it or leave it, my lips are still sealed."


Jason helps himself to a slice of pizza, only now realizing how hungry he was. Katie's day seemed rather boring. What had made days so interesting before? Their constant communication? Surely there had been more to it than that. Surely they had more connecting them than just a stupid drug-induced phenomenon.

Her question brings a shrug. "Taking it as easy as my sanity will allow. I'm just glad the surgery wasn't as extensive as Rick had thought it might need to be, so I can at least be home and not at TJY or the hospital. And yes - he's called me a million times. I think he's afraid I'm gonna go run a marathon or something."

Reaching the crust on his pizza, he nibbles at it but really doesn't want just bread. Tossing it in the box, he retrieves another piece.

Quiet. Silence. No words. It was driving Jason mad. It wasn't so much of a lack of connection, but that he knew they both had things to say they weren't saying. Whether they were afraid or just didn't want to face the truth, he didn't know. But he knew she knew it too.


Five-forty-five. Con offers Misty a smile as he sits with Jamie on the couch in the living room. Carson hadn't shown up yet... forty-five minutes after he should have been home. Con felt badly - he knew Misty was trying her hardest to keep supper warm and have fun anyway. But Carson hadn't called, and there was a tension in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment