10/24/10

Job well done

Dylan searches Rosetta's eyes, his own gaze revealing that though he was hesitant, he longed to relieve himself of the burden he carried. Even though he'd shared with Dan, it was still a well-kept secret. Telling Rosetta meant that news would spread, and there was a part of him that was tired of his family not knowing the truth, even though he'd had reason to hide it. "Okay. Deal."

Quiet for a moment, he settles in the chair, his eyes roaming the office as he collects his thoughts and tries to get past his emotions. "I was clean... but I had some friends that weren't so great..." He goes on to explain how he'd been held against his will and how the drugs had been forced into him. Growing nervous, he stands and paces as he continues telling of how he couldn't let anyone know what had happened, lest his family be harmed.

Stopping at the window, Dylan looks out with his back to Rosetta. Telling Dan - a man - was one thing. Telling Rosetta - a woman and his stepmom no less - was another. He was embarrassed and it was difficult admitting aloud how he'd felt violated and in essence, abused. "I was hooked but hid it well. Ended up doing things like stealing and such to keep the guys happy and keep the drugs coming. There were parties... girls..." His face grows hot and he glances over his shoulder. There really were things he'd rather leave out, but she'd insisted on the complete story. So he tells her, sparing no details about the "sessions" of drugs, alcohol and the things he did with girls. Even now, it made him sick, and he can't turn to look at her. Tears burn his eyes and he tries to keep his voice from cracking as he forces those tears not to fall. All that he'd done - none of it he'd wanted to do - some of it had been due to being under the influence, and some of it had been because he'd been forced. And some he knew he just plain didn't remember and didn't want to either.

Eventually, Dylan turns back around shrugs lamely. "That's about it. Some of my so-called friends talked about a one-way road trip and I was desperate and ready to forget everything, so I hopped a ride. I shot myself up and... that's when the Elite showed up and I got taken to the McClain's where I let everyone believe it had all been built on my own choices."

Flopping down in the chair again, he sighs deeply. "Once I was here, I started getting calls from one of the guys. He'd found me and wanted me to get him drugs or he'd come after me. So I stole from Angel's office and was gonna send the meds to him. Then I got caught and you know the rest. I trashed my phone and waited, but no one came so I figured I was safe here. And now... Dad's asking me to walk out in the open, unprotected, all day, every day. I know these guys... It doesn't matter that I'm states away. They were getting paid big bucks to keep me addicted - they won't stop." Desperation laces Dylan's words, his eyes full of his shame, mixed with real fear of going through it all again. In all reality, he was a prime subject for someone who would benefit from counseling, but instead, he'd muscled through his circumstances, locking away the pain in order to survive. "I can't protect myself from them, Rosetta. I'm only safe here. If I go out there, they will find me."


Ariel hadn't been prepared for Trey to come after her, so by the time she'd quit laughing from him almost falling again, she was too slow to get out of his way. "Don't you dare, Trey... no, no... no!"

Being pulled into his arms, she shrieks, feeling her own clothes getting wet from his. Her laughter breaks out again as she tries to wriggle free, fighting his arms that she found very strong, but not trying too hard. "You dweeb!" She giggles. "Let me go!"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Dude, let her go."

Ariel looks up quickly to see one of the guys from the party. His eyes were concerned, irritated and his stance said he was ready to pounce if need be. "Oh, no, Tom." She stifles another laugh. "We're just fooling around." Slipping from Trey, she grins sheepishly, knowing they must look quite silly.

Tom's eyes narrow, but he does relax, giving Trey a good long look. "Yeah... okay. You want some hot chocolate?"

"In a while." Ariel smiles sweetly until Tom had left. Then glancing to Trey, she puts her hands over her mouth to muffle her new laughter. Gasping for air, her eyes water and she points after Tom. "Did you see the look on his face? He was ready to clobber you, you poor thing, falling in the water then almost getting attacked."

Her giggles maker her eyes sparkle and she reaches out to take a piece of seaweed off his shirt. "I'm sorry." She chokes on another laugh. "I won't scream so loudly next time."


Susanne laughs and turns her head to look up at Chuck. "There's an idea. Maybe Reese will put me on some undercover case or something."

Though grinning, she suddenly realizes just how close her face was to his, and her heart picks up its pace again. Retreating just a little, she turns back to the pizza, finally in control of her laughter. "I would say... mission accomplished." She holds up the slice of pizza as if in a toast. "To spontaneity, good laughs and good pizza." Taking a bite, she then holds it for Chuck again to help finish it off. "And to a job well done."

Finally feeling more at ease, the evening really does go too quickly. Small talk ensues again, and there was still much Susanne didn't know about Chuck, but she doesn't question him now. After all, there really was no point since after tonight, this was it. She does enjoy herself though, evident by her smile and how she doesn't seem to mind his arm around her anymore.

Eventually, the other group leaves the restaurant and Mom and Pop's is left pretty quiet except for a few guys that had come in later for a Bible study. Susanne and Chuck's table is also quieter with both too full to eat any more and time running out.

After waving to her friends as they left, Susanne fingers her water glass and turns her head to look at Chuck once more. He really was so handsome - she couldn't deny that. And he'd been so sweet all evening... but she refused to allow herself to think that this would be more than this one dinner date. "Thank you, Chuck. This was a silly idea of mine with a silly and quite vain purpose... but..." She bites her lip, almost afraid to admit it. "...I did enjoy myself."

Checking her watch, she sighs. "I should get going," she mentions quietly, her tone almost apologetic. "If you... take me back to TJY, I can pick up my car."

No comments:

Post a Comment