8/29/10

Doesn't mean...

Alec smiles and grabs the food from the bike before joining Ryan at the table. "You're welcome and yes." He nods. "Got her today. That's why I was late."

He grins as he passes her a sandwich and a bottle of water. "Had to find the right one, ya know. Needs a bit of work but the engine is good. 'Course then I had to ask Eli where your helmet was and he wasn't going to let me go without a jacket so I had to get all that taken care of. However... I think it was worth it."

His eyes hold a sly glint to them and he leans over and gives Ryan another kiss, letting it linger for several long moments. "I hear chicks dig guys with bikes."


Quinn leans back in his seat and studies Anastasia. Her words stung, but he knew their truth. "I know," he confirms quietly. "But even if I forgive him... that doesn't mean I have to trust him, does it?"

He shakes his head and looks at the table for a few moments before glancing back up to her eyes. "Who says he's even changed? Our brief meeting certainly wasn't enough for me to have seen that. And just because he's got a job at a reputable place doesn't mean he's a new man."


"Yeah... I don't know. When I first met her, it was like hey, new friend to hang out with maybe? But once I got to know her, she got more timid and I started to see how she was living in the past... in a rut. When I tried to convince her to start living her life again, it backfired."

Justin shrugs and takes another sip of water while sitting on the couch with Rebecca in her apartment. "After that I discovered her past was worse than I thought."

"So maybe you were too harsh?"

"Kind of. I still meant what I said and I wasn't sorry I said it... but I think it was just too soon for her."

"I see." Rebecca leans sideways, resting her head on the back cushions to look at Justin. "So how did you get close to her then?"

"I guess I decided to give up my original thoughts of an equal relationship and decided to just make myself available if she decided she wanted my input."

"And she responded."

"I think so. She got ultra timid, so I think-"

"She was opening up and it was scary to her?"

Justin smiles at Rebecca's intuition and nods. "Yeah."

"So... you're friends now?"

"In a way. I'm still just available for when she wants or needs me. She's talked to me a little... I see her taking baby steps."

"Think she likes you?"

Justin quirks an eyebrow, a little grin forming too. "Naw. I mean... I hope not."

Rebecca gives him a teasing grin. "Really?"

"Yes, really." Justin takes another sip of water and pulls his bare feet up further to sit cross-legged. "I have no romantic interests, if that's what you're thinking."

Rebecca laughs, making her eyes sparkle. "Ah, but you had dinner and a movie with her."

"So? I just had dinner with you."

"Oh, so this is no different then, huh?"

"I didn't say that." Justin eyes her slyly. "Don't you know you can't twist the words of a counselor?"

Rebecca giggles and sips her iced tea. "Okay, so no romance between you and Beth."

"All she wants is a friend."

Rebecca studies him for a moment. "And... you?"

Justin shakes his head. "She's nice. She's sweet and shes' got a lot of potential. I'm here to help her, should she want it. I'll be her friend."

"But otherwise, she's just a client to you?"

Justin looks down and runs his finger along the rim of his glass. "Sounds a little harsh, doesn't it?"

"Mm... but is it true?"

The picture of Beth's face passes through Justin's mind. her eyes... her smile... the spark that was hidden under the surface, buried beneath all her pain and fear. "I just want to help her. And when she spreads her wings, I'll stand back and watch her fly."

Rebecca's smile is a warm one. "Then what will you do?"

"Make sure she doesn't fall... then walk away knowing that maybe I helped someone find their way again. Isn't that what it's all about anyway?"

Rebecca simply cocks her head and watches him for several long moments before she stands up. "Want some dessert? I got ice cream."

Justin grins. "How could I say no?" Joining her in the kitchen, he helps scoop out the ice cream into two bowls. Back in the living room, they settle down to watch a movie.

Just a little ways into the story line, something unexpected happens and Rebecca almost jumps out of her skin. Seated closer to Justin than earlier, she bumps into him with a little shriek, almost spilling both of their bowls. Her face reddens and she starts to laugh, feeling utterly stupid.

Justin laughs too, nudging her with his elbow. "Little jumpy?"

Rebecca giggles and nods. "I must be." Leaning in closer to his face, her grin widens slyly. "But with you around, I know I'm safe." Her free hand finds his arm and her palm rests on him softly. Looking into his eyes, the moment turns into one between them without thoughts of the movie. They could feel each other's breath on their skin and their hearts pick up pace just a little.

Justin's eyes roam down then up again to meet her gaze once more. Their faces draw even nearer as the sounds of the television seem to be drowned out in the background. Perhaps even time stood still.

Bringing a spoonful of ice cream to his mouth, Justin sucks on the cold treat, returning his sights to the movie. "I'd hate to see you with a horror movie," he quips. "This one isn't even scary." Giving her a playful shove, the space between them widens again and focus is returned to the television.

No comments:

Post a Comment