7/20/10

Go ahead

Pete scans the menu and chuckles at Trey's comment about the women. "Yeah, there are some around here that aren't too bad looking."

Quirking an eyebrow at the question of returning outside. "Nope. No smoking in here, so-"

"Alright, are you two ready to order?"

Pete looks up at the perky waitress, giving her a once-over then glancing to Trey with a wry grin that he knew he would catch. "I think so. I want an omelet..."

It only takes a few moments to take both orders and the waitress is gone again. Pete thumbs to the door. "Go ahead and take your smoke. I'll hold the table."


"Water I got. Good well water too." Getting a glass and some ice from the freezer, Justin heads for the sink to fill up the glass with cool water. His eyes wander to Beth as she looks at the pictures and he lets her be.

"Alright, here we go." He sets the glass down on the counter. "I think I'm going to have some salad... ooh, looks like I got some watermelon left too. Better eat more of that before it goes bad."

Retrieving the half-melon from the fridge, he sets it on a cutting board and grabs a long knife from a drawer. Just ready to cut into it, the phone rings. Sighing, he goes ahead and cuts the watermelon, letting the answering machine pick up.

"Hey, Justin, it's me, Rebecca. Your mom gave me your number and I just thought I'd call to-"

Justin's head shoots up from the watermelon. Skirting into the living room, he grabs the cordless phone. "Rebecca... I'm here. What's up?" Wandering back into the kitchen, he cradles the phone between his chin and shoulder as he continues to cut up the watermelon. "Yeah, I'm good. You?"

Setting the watermelon on a large plate, he wipes off the counter and sets the plate on the table. Whispering, he speaks to Beth. "Help yourself." Walking back to the fridge, he keeps up his phone conversation. "Mm-hmm... yeah. No, that's okay. I just got back a few minutes ago." With both hands full, he kicks the fridge door shut and starts cutting up lettuce for a salad, then adds just a few chopped onions, part of a green pepper and some carrots, topped with a bit of shredded cheese. "Uh-huh... sounds great. Yeah, I'm probably heading back there this week sometime. Right..." He laughs. "She likes to tell everyone everything."

Putting the stuff away, he puts the large bowl of salad on the table, retrieving two smaller bowls in case Beth changed her mind, and he also brings out a couple different kinds of dressing. "This afternoon?" He pauses. "Naw, I got a friend here and we're going fishing in a bit. Thanks, though. Maybe another time. Yeah... okay. Alright, sure. Yep, got it. Thanks, Rebecca. Talk to you later."

Ending the call, he sets the phone on the kitchen counter and goes to the table, sitting down to get himself some salad, unsure if Beth wanted to sit too or not, but just leaving it open for her to decide. "Sorry about that."


Alec keeps working, but pauses to sift through the files again. "Yeah, that was a weird one. I woulda thought the Agency would have taken the guy in, not kill him on the spot. But the... a security risk is a security risk and they don't play around."

Finding the file, he nods. "Heard that name before but didn't make the connection. Don't think I ever met him - he was in some higher stuff, probably a clean-cut character on the outside. Not surprised if the Agency wants her dead now though if she's got info. That's a given."

Continuing his work, he takes a side venture, looking up a few things about the information Destiny had turned in. "Hey, did you know you got some outsider accessing Agency files about this?" He points to the screen. "Username is Gambler. I though everyone here had to go through the TJY database to get their information. Though whoever it was knew how to get in the backdoor - if I hadn't happened into this, it wouldn't have shown up anywhere else."


Ryder sighs deeply, reaching his one hand up to cradle Thirteen's head as she leaned it down on his. "Okay... they can do surgery again." If he were crippled up, he wouldn't be very much good to her anymore. "But I'm out of here the minute he says I'm released."

No comments:

Post a Comment