6/23/10

Mongrels

Chance isn't really sure how to take Katie's comments about Alec, so he remains quiet, simply giving her a little nod as she heads back inside. Once he's alone, he quickly goes for his cell phone, pacing along the wall as he talks.


Yeah, thanks... I'll go head him off see if I can get anything more out of him before we come inside too.
Jason eases out of his truck, taking his time to wander across the lot and to Chance. He approaches from behind though, and as he does, he overhears part of the one-sided conversation. Jason automatically lets Katie in on it.

"Look, I'm sorry, alright?" Chance's voice is agitated. "So I messed up. You're the one that's paying me to be here, remember? I didn't want this job. ...No, I couldn't. There were too many people and Jason was there, too. ...Yeah, I think she's gonna be alright, thankfully. Rick's working on her now. ....Alright. Yeah. Talk to you tomorrow."

Flipping his phone shut, Chance turns around and almost runs into Jason. Taking a step back, his eyebrows rise. "Always sneak up on people like that?"

Jason shakes his head. "Only when necessary. Problem?"

"Nope." Chance tucks his hands in his pockets. "Just heading back inside."

"Before you go..." Jason steps in his path. "How come you didn't have more backup out there today? I heard you didn't even think I was necessary."

Chance doesn't bat an eye. "I thought it would draw unwanted attention to have more people about, not to mention put Destiny more on edge than she already was."

"Kinda backfired, didn't it?"

"I think those mongrels would have attacked if we'd had an army." Chance sidesteps to get around Jason. "See you later."

Jason doesn't respond, but just turns to watch him go inside.
I still don't know what it is, but I still don't like it. He's too sure of himself. He's got secrets. I just wish I knew what they were.


Phil looks up quickly to see Rayne and a smile spreads on his face. "Well, hi there." He chuckles. "Small world, isn't it? I bet I've seen you too."

Moving his notepad and cup over, he gestures to the other side of the table. "Join me? I'm not as busy as I look."

No comments:

Post a Comment