10/16/16

Never could

Garret bit his lip to keep from laughing at Maggie's teasing. He really hadn't meant to startle Nate, altho he supposed he was used to walking rather quietly. 

At the top of the stairs, Laura held Brian and glanced down to Nate, blinking in surprise. Garret had just walked out... hadn't he? "Oh...okay. Well you two have fun." She smiled, thrilled that Garret apparently was staying. "Oh, and Nate, grab some ice cream...might be a nice treat tonight."

Garret followed Nate outside and to the car, sliding in on the passenger side. He closed his eyes and leaned his head back, glad he was feeling better today but still impatient about gaining back his energy. As they started forward, he opened his eyes again. At the very least, he was getting to know his way around town. 

"So... Reese been giving you a bad time about me being on the loose again?"


Jason almost dropped his chopsticks. His eyes searched Katie's in shock and bewilderment. A chill ran down his spine. What was she saying? Was it what he thought it was?

"I... I don't know what to say." He set aside his utensils before he really did drop them on the floor. "I am...so sorry." He swallowed hard. The expression on his face really did reflect his regret. "I never should have found you in the crowd like that, I just... it..." He stopped and fiddled with his water glass, finally dropping his gaze. His appetite had fled.

After a long pause, he finally looked back up at her. His shoulders sank just a little. "I couldn't help it. If I would have known it would cause this... I should have just found someone else to be there to watch my back." He pursed his lips. "You've just always been my hero... I guess maybe I forgot things weren't the same anymore."

He took a sip of water before taking another moment to study her face. "Are we really both feeling the same way? 'Cause...I thought I was on the losing team with this one." His voice grew quieter. "I tried to stop caring about you but... I just never could."

No comments:

Post a Comment