10/13/16

Common Ground

Kirk had stopped by someone else's desk to grab some papers when he couldn't help but hear Adison's speech to Tod. He bit his lip to keep from laughing. It wasn't funny. But Tod should have known better than to mess with Adison in the first place. 

Aiming for his own desk, he had to walk past Tod's. As he did, he paused for just a moment to let out a low whistle between his teeth. "Man... that's rough. Getting told off by a girl. If you need to take a moment at the cooler, I'll cover for you."


Maggie's words went straight to Garret's cold heart. She didn't have any other friends? She'd chosen him? A machine made to destroy body and soul? She might be different, but she was so smart in some ways - couldn't she see he was different too? Or was that perhaps why she was drawn to him? Was there really more common ground there than Garret thought? They both struggled to fit the mold.

Unable to look at her tears, he lowered his gaze and changed the subject. "Hey... I think I could handle some more of that soup... You wanna bring me some?" 

He was still feeling mighty miserable, but his stomach did want some food after having had so very little the day before. Left alone for a few minutes, he set the cold cloths aside, slipped his shirt back on, and pulled himself up to sit. Bringing up a knee, he leaned an elbow on it, then rested his head on his arm. He was still hot...but not as hot as he'd been. At least he could think a little straighter, although he was terribly tired. 


As Angel talked, Travis' eyes sank to the floor. He knew she was right. He was old enough to make up his own mind. And maybe she was right, too, that if he made a choice, it didn't have to be forever. "What if I don't know what to write?"

He glanced back up at her and sighed. "I don't think living with my mom is an option anymore. Not after what happened when she came here." Just thinking about the secret of what he'd told her made him physically stiffen. "I'll be lucky if she hasn't gotten rid of all my stuff already." Maybe she wouldn't react quite that harshly, but he wouldn't put it past her, as sad as it sounded. She was his mother...but she wasn't all she appeared to be, either.

Travis leaned back in his chair and pursed his lips. "And... I don't have the money to get my own place. I dont even have a job. Getting kidnapped sort of threw a monkey wrench into an interview I was supposed to have. But even if that had worked, it would take a while to have enough money saved for a new start." Another shrug followed. "And if my dad is gonna stay here, living at his place is out. Not that I'd want to - it's a rickety old cabin with a roof like Swiss cheese." He rolled his eyes.

Letting his gaze travel back to his aunt, he studied her face. "Maybe...this could just be temporary...staying here, I mean. Til I decide what I really want to do?"


No comments:

Post a Comment