4/9/12

Really?

Though Eric was glad Stacy didn't blame him for his reaction, he still knew he'd been wrong too. He doesn't argue with her though, not having much time before she speaks again. 

Just listening quietly, Eric's heart sinks a little. Ashlee's father had called? Of all the nerve... No wonder Stacy had been so upset. She was right - that guy had no right to see Ashlee now. Not after abandoning them and all of his fatherly responsibilities. It was despicable as far as Eric was concerned. People like Rich ought to be strung up by their fingernails.

Realizing that there was something else in Stacy's voice... withheld tears, perhaps? Eric's anger against Rick is quickly replaced by a deepening sorrow for Stacy. Here she was apologizing all over again, when now Eric understood completely. It all made sense now and... he felt rather rotten. 

Allowing a short pause of silence after Stacy is finished speaking, Eric suddenly pulls Static to a halt. With his arm still around her waist, he could feel her hand on his, and he wonders why it created the little flutter in his chest. 

"I am so sorry." His voice is quiet... so gentle compared to earlier. "I... should have known you didn't mean what you said." 

He swallows hard, fighting against any remaining pride. "When... when you yelled at me, it, um... it really hurt my feelings... a lot. You probably didn't even know you found the worst buttons of mine to push. It's my fault I'm so sensitive... I've been called stupid a lot in my life but I guess I ain't figured out how to handle it too well." 

Static shifts restlessly and Eric pauses to settle him down before speaking again. "How I reacted wasn't okay and it wasn't right, no matter how hurt I felt. My actions..." He could kick himself now for that angry kiss. "...were highly inappropriate, and I apologize for stepping over that line. If I would have known why you were so upset I... well, I never would have done that." 

As they remain still in the path, there's a sudden dim light that spreads, and Eric's eyes glance up to realize that the clouds were beginning to part. The sky was a dark gray color, the sun having already gone down. The stars would be visible soon. 

Returning his gaze to earth, he feels a bit awkward all of a sudden, feeling every bit of Stacy that was tucked in his arm. "Are... are you really okay?" He wasn't worried about her head anymore, it was her heart that concerned him now.

No comments:

Post a Comment