4/15/12

Contribution to Society

Hunter gives Katie a sheepish sort of look. "Drunk... tipsy... a mere slip of the tongue." 

Katie's refusal to go back and get chips brings a new smile to Hunter's lips. Not only was he amused with her, but seeing her laugh was giving him a much better impression of her than he'd had the other night. 

Peering into his cart, he quirks an eyebrow. "Somehow during my misfortune, I ended up with a second bag." Retrieving it, he tosses it to Katie. "I don't have any dinner plans either. All I got now are chips and salsa to keep me company." 

Leaning on his cart, his eyes roam Katie's face, his grin remaining. "How 'bout coming over to my place?" As soon as he'd said it, he knew how wrong it sounded. He hadn't meant it that way at all. Straightening, he raises his hands. "Just hangin' out. Chips, salsa, maybe a B movie... and nothing else." It was pretty stupid of him to ask, come to think of it. But that was the problem - he always spoke before thinking. Not only did he know from Kyle that Katie was a nice conservative girl, but she was also an Elite agent who had arrested him. He really wasn't trying to imply he was after her. He was just... bored. 

"I promise to behave. I'm so bored, I'm ready to invite that clerk, and he doesn't look like he's any fun at all. So see? I'm desperate." He flashes Katie a new smile, even though that same sheepishness invades his eyes. "And you know when I'm bored I get myself into trouble. So hanging out with me would be a...a contribution to society." 


"Sure. I'll take a couple pieces." Ariel agrees to splitting the leftovers. She wasn't about to let anything go to waste. 

Once they were finished and outside ready to part, Ariel stops on the sidewalk to look up at Trey. She wasn't sure if she'd ever get used to his height. "Thanks for lunch. It was nice." 


Eric sits on a bale of hay in the barn, braiding the end of a whip. Thunder rolled gently as the mid-morning rain came down. It was a surprising bit of weather - no one had predicted rain, let alone a thunderstorm. It was welcomed though. They needed the moisture. 

Because of the rain, the barn was extra quiet today. Eric's leg was hurting enough that he knew he should probably be icing it right now but... this was his haven. And with so few people around... well... he didn't want to give it up. It wouldn't be until this afternoon that Ashlee would be in here. Lunch wouldn't be for another hour or so. The horses were all taken care of for now. And he was relaxed. 

Leaning back a little, his fingers work with the twine like hundreds of times before. His mind was wandering just a bit. To the last few weeks. To yesterday. He felt just a tad mixed up inside but he wasn't sure why. He tried to ignore it but... it wasn't as easy as it should be. 

Caught up in his own thoughts and his task, he paid very little attention to what was going on around him.

No comments:

Post a Comment