3/26/12

Tonight

Scott gives a quiet little laugh. "Ditto."

Sighing, he looks around one last time. "Well... I guess I better let you get back to work. I'll um... I'll be around."


Rocky gives Michaela a wide grin and sets his menu down. "Yeah, well ya know... someone said they were gonna come here for lunch with me today."

Laughing, he shakes his head. "I've actually never been here before. I like it. Cute. Not to mention, their turkey bagel sounds really good."

He leans forward with his elbows on the table and just looks at Michaela's face. "So... how've you been anyway?"


Tal had expected Ryan to be pleased, but had not been prepared for quite that big of a reaction, and his eyes go wide. "Yes, I- mmm..." Caught in her kiss, he leaves his sentence hanging as he willingly returns the gesture. Laughing as she cuddles into him, he slips his arm around her, giving her a hug.

"I take it you like it then?" He laughs again and cocks his head down to see her face that was half-buried against him. "I've been planning this for ages, you know. Soon as I found out you could have a dog at your apartment."

Kissing the top of her head, he squeezes her again. "You're very welcome. You can come pick out who you want, then in just a few more weeks or so, you can take it home."


Still listening, Alec's napkin had become a pile of shreds on the table. The rest of his food was forgotten as his stomach churned. He could hear everything going on behind him. He could visualize it all, knowing from the sounds and the booth jostling that Ryan had very enthusiastically accepted Tal's gift. Knowing they'd just kissed too though... that's what sent Alec's blood to the point of boiling.

He couldn't stand it. He couldn't sit here for who knows how long and listen to all of that. Ryan had been his. He'd been hers. He'd been the one allowed to kiss her... hold her. He'd been the one she'd been excited to see. He'd been the one spending the evenings with her and cuddling on the couch until they fell asleep. It had been him. And now... he was forgotten. He didn't matter anymore. All their good times... it was all lost in the wind. Everything they'd said and done... it was fading history. He meant nothing to her anymore.

Alec's eyes shoot to the back of the diner. There was an exit sign above a door that probably led out into the back alley. If he was careful, he could slip outside without being seen. He couldn't stay here any longer. Swallowing the growing lump in his throat, he quietly eases from his booth without turning around and heads to the back, going unnoticed by any other customers.

It took him a while to get back to his apartment, but when he did, he stopped by the pay phone first. "Trey? It's Alec. I know it's short notice, but can you do that favor for me tonight?" His fingers curl around the phone cord as he stuffs his hurt down deep and lets himself be angry instead. "I got your smokes and can get them to you tonight if you want payment first. I need to look as though I'm at my apartment at about two in the morning for an hour and a half. Can you do it?"

No comments:

Post a Comment