2/27/11

So stupid

As Ryan explains she has no idea what Tal is talking about, his eyes go a little wide and he just stares at her with what he knew had to be the dumbest look on his face. He blinks once and his mouth hangs open slightly as he knows he should say something, but now he didn't know what.

"I... it..." He blinks again. "You're... not upset? I mean... you do want to get together again? Even though it...." He keeps searching her eyes. Surely there was some kind of an explanation here, but unless he was blind, he saw pure confusion in her eyes - no irritation or fear or sign of being upset at all. Nothing. Just confusion.

Then it dawns on him. His eyebrows shift back a little and he can feel his face growing so hot, he was sure it was bright red. "I... think I just made a fool out of myself." Movement catches his eye and he sees Miles awfully close, seeming to be trying to listen. Not wanting any more gossip than there probably was already, he grabs Ryan's hand and pulls her away from the car. Leading her outside and around the corner he stops and turns to face her again.

"Your brother came to me this morning and said not to hurt you. Apparently he saw us kissing." A little more heat piles on top, making his cheeks burn. "I thought he was just giving me a blanket statement 'cause he didn't want to see you hurt but he was so serious I thought for sure I'd done something wrong."

Tal pauses, chewing on his lower lip. "I told him if I'd upset you that I'd come apologize and he said I should, so... I... I assumed..." He lets his statement trail off. It wasn't worth trying to explain everything that had gone through his mind. It was entirely his fault based on assumption. Eli never had said Ryan was upset... Tal had come to that conclusion on his own.

"I feel so stupid." He puts a hand to his head and cringes. Scrunching his eyes shut, he shakes his head. "And knowing Eli, he's probably laughing his butt off right about now. He had to have done this on purpose just to see what I'd do."

Opening one eye, he looks down at Ryan, utterly embarrassed and sheepish. "I'm glad I was wrong though... does that make it better?"

No comments:

Post a Comment