8/6/10

Fulfill my promise

Pete flops back down in his seat and grins at the two women. "Thank you, Carol, for saving me from an unpleasant death."

Taking another bite of the cake, he glances to Nikki, winking at her. Good clean fun was hard to come by anymore, and he was thoroughly enjoying himself.

After dessert, Pete steps right in and helps clear the rest of the table, rinsing a few things and helping Nikki get them into the dishwasher. The evening had extended later than planned and eventually, Pete finds himself curled in the corner of the couch again as a movie played. His feet rested against Nikki's feet as she sat on the other end of the couch and he wriggles his toes to tickle her once, but keeps his eyes on the television, pretending to be totally clueless.


"I don't know," Gage hollers from the bathroom where he was changing clothes. "Call me anyway." If Lonny was there... Gage might very well be enough awake tomorrow to do something with Sapphire again. "Maybe I'm finally getting used to these hours."

Coming back out to the other room, he sits down on his mattress to pull on some clean socks and put on his work boots. "If you give me a ride, we have more time..." He looks up at her and grins, a lock of his hair falling over his forehead as his eyes sparkle.


"But are you sure that-" Chance sighs as he paces the living room, still on his cell phone. It wasn't unusual for him to be talking to an unknown party, though he often mentioned to Destiny that it was about his undercover case and that he was struggling to keep his cover since Toby was putting restrictions on him.

"That's kind of steep," he argues. "Look, I know when to play it smart." He gestures with his arms as he talks, stopping to look out the front bay window. "I'm the gambler, remember? Trust me."

His arm falls back to his side and he bristles. "Yeah, I do have a problem with this one. I don't think it's smart. I'm just getting things stable and you want to risk it all. It's not wise." He grits his teeth as the other end gives him a negative response. "But I don't have any guarantees! No, I'm not backing out. ...This has nothing to do with my loyalty here. Don't put words into my mouth!"

Spinning around, Chance realizes that Destiny wasn't still in her room, but had come down the hall. Trying to calm himself, he turns back around. "Alright, fine. I'll play it one more time. Next time, the price goes up."

Shutting his phone, he sighs deeply. Then turning around once more, he studies Destiny for a moment. "Rules. Regulations. They get tiring after a while."

He shakes his head and glances out the window, then back to her. "It's too nice of a day to worry about what ought not be worried about. How about I fulfill my promise and we go to the mall? Maybe we can get lost in the crowd and forget about reality for a little while."

No comments:

Post a Comment