7/25/10

Afraid

"Mm-hmm." Eli sips his own coffee and nods, unsure if Ryan wanted any more details than that.

Finally glancing up, he studies her for a moment. He knew she had been hurt. He knew she had disapproved of the fight - all the fights - and that she was tired of it all. If she was talking now though, it must bean she wasn't too mad at him though, right?

"Yeah, they're okay. Beat to a pulp, but they'll live." He shrugs. "I had Alec taken back to TJY since all I had was my bike with Scarlet and Leo drove himself home." He pauses. "For what it's worth, I think things will be a little easier now."


Leo wasn't surprised at Cassy's reaction, but his face still reddened under the mess it was already in. Being ushered inside, he didn't have much of a choice. Just standing their lamely, he stares at the floor. "I'm fine," he manages to assure. He looked horrible, but he didn't need a doctor.

Still eying the floor, his hands are safely tucked into his pockets and his shoulders are drooped. "It was my own fault," he mumbles. "I threw the first punch."

He swallows and still refuses to look up at Cassy. "It was Alec... my ex's boyfriend, ya know."

Stopping again, he now regretted coming at all. He felt like a fool. He could have just not said anything... he didn't have to tell Cassy all of this... he could have stayed away a couple more days and she would have been none the wiser. But... that's not what friends were supposed to do.

"I spent my weekend getting drunk," he blurts, "sleeping off the mother of all hangovers, then getting into a brawl at the races..." He stops, finding the words painful, inside and out. "...instead of coming to see you instead. Because... because I was afraid to."


Engrossed in the movie, Pete is almost startled as Nikki comes closer, leaning on his leg. She used to do that too... it had been more like a big brother, little sister thing, and when there were three or four on the couch, they naturally had to get cozy. Was this... the same thing? There was plenty of room so... so she was just getting comfortable... like... a brother/sister thing... right?

Turning to see her smiling, his own grin slips onto his face. She looked pretty cute looking up at him like that... even he had to admit it.

Shaking his head, he moves his arm and ruffles her hair teasingly. "Sorry, I'm a little bonier pillow now than I used to be."

No comments:

Post a Comment