5/17/10

Oh I am

"Alrighty then." Chance pops another fry into his mouth before wiping his hands on a napkin. "Sounds like a royal plan." He cocks his head at her, squinting a little. "Always got to have a plan. That's my motto. Or... one of them at least."

Grinning, he returns to finishing up his food, making sure he gets all the bits of bacon that had fallen from his sandwich. It doesn't take long and they're on their way once again, Chance keeping an ever-watchful eye on their surroundings.

Once back at the house, together it's quick work of putting away all the groceries and then it's back to TJY. They arrive without incident, but it's not until they're in the building does Chance let Destiny leave his sight.

"I'm gonna go check in with Reese and get some things finalized. I'll try to catch back up with you at the break room, okay?"


Leo chuckles and shakes his head as he dances with Cassy, not finding it too difficult to do two things at once. "Oh, maybe I could help with a class or two. I don't think I've outgrown Baxtor though, Cass. I'm grateful for your encouragement but... somebody's gotta stay behind to see the next batch of newbies. Maybe if I worked at it twenty-four/seven I could get good enough for something else, but what's gonna pay the bills in the meantime? I may have a sense of rhythm, but I don't have that raw talent like some of these dancers lately."

Spinning with her to the tempo of the song, he pauses until he is in a good position to speak again. "I'm glad you think I've got what it takes, but I've been thinking a lot lately and... I think it's time I realized that I really don't. I enjoy dancing... I've gotten fairly good with a lot of practice but... I just don't have 'it.' I don't have that spark that makes a dancer go over the top... that makes them special... like you."

Thinking as the music draws on his mind, the dance steps come easily. "I get mad when they bump me down on the performance list, but once I think about it, they're just doing what's best. They put the best dancers in the spotlight and they should. Those dancers who are the top pick... they're there for a reason, and the reason is simply that they're the best in the group. Me... I could show up the average person on the street because I've been practicing for years but against other dancers?" He shakes his head a little again.

Letting the music take over for several moments, he moves with Cassy, one hand in hers, the other around her waist. His tone is thoughtful but not depressed like it had been the week before. "I'm just not in the same league as the others... as you. But... I'm learning to be okay with that. Baxtor will always need the fill-ins... those who can manage a lead if they practice enough and if the top picks can't make it... those who can run lights or push props around. At this point in my life... I would have to dance every day, all day, literally to get any further than I am and... it's just not possible."

Lowering Cassy into a slow dip, he sweeps her gracefully back up and around, his eyes connecting with hers. "I'm glad for a while we were both novice enough to be teamed up. I always had fun being your partner. But Baxtor is growing up and out, and all I can do is tuck away the memories and be satisfied with what I got now... which is a set of average dancing feet and hands that do better in a car engine than in a dance partner's hands."

As the song begins it's approach on the final notes, Leo brings Cassy face-to-face with him again, both of his hands in hers between them, bringing them only inches apart. "But I'm okay with that," he assures softly. "I'm okay being average. If it weren't for people like me... people like you wouldn't shine so brightly."


"Jason... helloooo, earth to Jason."

Jason snaps to attention as Jen's hand waves in front of his face. JetStream was trying to set up in the community auditorium, but Jason's mind had been far from where it ought to be. "Huh?"

Jen smirks and wheels around in front of him. "You only have one boot on. Are you going to get fully dressed or... are you sporting a new style?"

Jason looks down to his black cowboy boots - one on his foot and one in his hand. He gives Jen a sheepish grin. "Who knows... new style might catch on."

Jen giggles and shakes her head. "Don't forget to slap some of this in your hair after we're done setting up." She hands him some hair gel. "Your hair is the perfect length to give it a little spike."

"Oh, really?" Jason quirks an eyebrow at her. "Miss style tonight, are we?"

"Tonight? I always am."

Jason laughs and stands up, pulling on his boot. "This is true." Jen had always had a sense of style and had always steered the band's attire and hairdos before a concert - and none of them minded because nine times out of ten, she was right.

"At least you finally learned how to dress," Jen teases.

Jason looks down to his form-fitting jeans and black tee. "At least Katie should appreciate it."

"Yeah," Jen smirks. "And every other girl in the audience."

"Oh, stop." Jason ruffles her hair playfully. "You know I can't stand a compliment."

Jen cocks her head as he walks away, giggling again. "Keep walking, Jase..."

Spinning around, Jason can feel heat in his face, but he knew all the teasing was in good fun. He and Jen were more like siblings than anything else, though she had no problem telling him when he looked good. "Watch it."

"Oh I am." She nods vigorously. "Trust me."

"I..." Jason shakes his head, giving up. He wasn't thinking fast enough tonight to win this one.

"Think fast!"

Jason ducks as a roll of tape comes flying in his direction. Catching it in one hand, he looks over to Phil. "You trying to take somebody's head off or what?"

"Only those slow enough not to see it coming."

"Phil!" Mike wails. "Where did you put that cord?"

"What cord?"

"The orange one."

"This one?"

"That's yellow."

"What about the green one?"

"Did I not say orange?"

"Like... orange orange or more red orange?"

"Orange, Phil! Just orange!"

Phil throws up his arms. "Well how am I supposed to know which one you're talking about? We packed ten more than we really needed."

"Yes, but I want that one."

"Which one?"

"The orange one!" Mike hops offstage and comes up to Phil, taking him by the shoulders and manually moving him to the side. Looking down, he spots the cord he was looking for in one of the boxes. Picking it up, he rolls his eyes. "How about this one, genius?"

Jason grins and wanders back into the small commotion to continue setting up.
Mmm... concert nights. Wouldn't trade them for the world.
He kneels on the floor and begins to tape down some of the cords to avoid anyone tripping over them.
Hey, Hero... bring me that bottle of orange juice, would you? I forgot to eat anything before we came.

No comments:

Post a Comment