1/16/10

Sore eyes

"Hey, that's great." Axel runs his fingers through Jess' hair, listening to her talk about her day. Leaned back in the couch, his feet propped up on the coffee table, it was just about the most comfortable position he could think of.

"I think they're missing out on your talent. I hope they give you a chance to do more."

Quiet for a few minutes, the soft music from the CD player helps keep the atmosphere peaceful. Closing his eyes, Axel could almost fall asleep right here. "Jess... I've been thinking..."

A low buzzing snaps him to attention though and he gives a little jump. It was his phone vibrating in his pocket, interrupting him. Flopping his head back, he ignores it for now. His thoughts had been broken though, and he leaves them where they were. "I suppose I should see who that is." He sighs deeply. "How come they always know just when I've gotten most comfortable. If it's Leo, I'm gonna smack him next time I see him."

Finally moving a little, he makes sure not to dump Jess' head off his lap as he retrieves his phone. Checking his voice mail, he finds it wasn't Leo at all. Hearing Misty's message, his heart skips a beat.

He closes his phone and resumes running his hand through Jess' hair. "It was Misty. She wants to do the surgery as soon as possible." He takes a deep breath, letting it out slowly. "I guess it can't hurt, right?" He chuckles. "Figuratively speaking."


JT sits straighter, feeling Amanda sit down next to him, and her hand on his shoulder. She was being so kind... he needed someone like that right now. "I know... I just... ever since I started keeping an eye on Bree... I don't know... she's like a daughter and seeing her like this kills me."

It had been a long time since he'd felt this helpless. He didn't like it. It made him feel weak. But he had no one else to lean on. Anyone he would normally confide in, he couldn't drag into this mess.

Turning his head to meet Amanda face to face, he looks into her eyes for the longest moment. "I've been passing you in the hall for years," he comments softly. "How come I never knew what I was missing out on in a friend, by not taking time to get to know you?"

A weary smile tugs at his mouth. "A couple lunches hardly make up for all you're doing for us here. How am I supposed to thank you when it's all over, hmm?"


Jim purses his lips, nodding, and feeling just a little sheepish. "I know... I know he seems happy and it's good to see him smile. I don't disagree with you. I just..." He shrugs. "I don't know. Maybe we should have that meeting. It'd be better than worrying about him behind his back. Maybe he'll set us straight too, I don't know. Maybe Annie and I are wrong."

He slide off the stool and tosses the wire aside. "I'll talk to Annie. Tonight after supper maybe we'll just pull Sparky aside for a minute and see what's up. Thanks, Wes."


David is grinning as he hangs up the phone. Getting up from his desk, he goes straight to get his briefcase ready. "Lila!" he calls. "I want the next plan to Nevada."

Everything following happened rather quickly. David had just enough time to go home, call the neighbor to take care of his dog, pack up and get to the airport. Carrying only his briefcase and small bag for a change of clothes and his laptop, he studied notes while on the plane, marking off details he thought Angelica would need to know.

Eventually the sun is setting as the plane lands at the airport. Just as Angelica promised, a car was waiting, and he makes a quick call to let her know he was there. She'd been right - it was a little cooler here. He was sure during the day it was pleasant, but as the sun was sinking, the temperature was dropping.

Riding through town, he finally gets to Mom and Pop's. It seemed a pleasant sort of restaurant. Small and quiet - the right kind of atmosphere. Still carrying his bags so the driver could go, he wanders into the restaurant, making the little bell ring.

Carson glances out to the front - a habit when hearing the bell. The man looked strangely out of place and screamed "newcomer." But he had a nice enough look. Tall and dark, wearing blue jeans, and a black shirt and jacket. He appeared a bit lost until he spotted someone to sit with. Carson noticed it was Angelica he was aiming for, and he motions for Aerith to go back to the table and see if he needed anything to drink.

David spots Angelica and a smile creases his lips. Getting to the table, he sets his bags into the booth first before sitting down across from her. "Angelica... You're a sight for sore eyes." His eyes twinkle. "I insist we catch up before digging into the case."

No comments:

Post a Comment